Two items for your attention Analogians; The CrossFit Games Open competition begins one week from today and, you will notice we have implemented changes in how classes are being run.
1: The Open. If you haven’t signed up yet, do it! Signing up will automatically enter you into a contest* to win a 5.11 Tactical plate carrier vest i.e. the best weight vest on the market! You will also have an awesome time competing with and/or against all of your best gym buddies! The Open is for everyone! For The Open, we will once again be holding our “Friday Night Lights” events. Every Friday, our WOD will be the Open event announced the night before. All afternoon classes will be canceled and replaced with officially judged, event heats. Heat times and capacity are subject to change depending on the requirements of the event. We will posit a warm up for the event but you will be on your own to prepare. If you have questions about individual events, please talk to a coach, we are here to help and want you to succeed!
2: Changes in class operations. As of Monday, you may have noticed changes in how coaches are running class. We held a training session on something called, “The Coaching Process”, a four step method used by many high level team sports coaches to improve retention of information by athletes and foster the individual athlete’s comprehension.
- Instruction and Explanation
- Observe and Analyze
- Provide Feedback
In conjunction with the four steps, we strive to speak less and have you do more, question your understanding of movements/exercises and focus on only one or two key factors (simplified focus).
Additionally, we will be making our learning environment better for class athletes by adhering to a more uniform class process.
- Classes will start at the exact scheduled minute
- Classes will begin with a quick meet & greet then right into warm up (no full WOD breakdown)
- Warm ups will be done as a team. If you start early, that’s fine! Expect to redo whatever you have done.
- Skill work and WODs will focus on one or two key factors
- WODs will begin on time, no exceptions for putting on gear, bathroom breaks, etc.
- WODs will end 5 min before class is over and you are expected to clear your equipment before the next class begins.
The class process will also change for people not in the class. One of the best ways we can help our athletes to learn is by reducing the signal to noise ratio in the gym. Therefore, we are clamping down on the activities of non-class athletes in the gym. Now, I want you all to know that a big part of my vision with CFA was a gym where athletes have the freedom to do their own thing. I HATE gyms that force you to do it their way or no way. That being said, despite repeated warnings, there just has not been enough respect for the classes. So…
- We have ordered a large bell. When you hear it ring, all non-class athletes must stop talking and training for the next five minutes while class musters.
- No WODs allowed during class time. If you want to start your WOD in conjunction with the class WOD, ask the coach for permission.
- If you want to do skill work (lifting, gymnastics, rowing), that is ok, keep an eye of the coach and DO NOT do anything while the coach is talking/instructing athletes. Also, the Assault Bike is really loud, avoid it unless a WOD is in progress.
- Music is to be controlled solely by the coach. No exceptions.
- If you must talk, please do so in the quietest voice possible. More often than not, the issue is not people training but a group of people having a good time and talking loudly.
Thank you all for understanding. I want you all to train in any way that fits your needs and makes you happy but it must be in harmony with the classes. If you have any questions, please, don’t hesitate to speak to me directly. I care about your concerns and want everyone to feel comfortable and have a positive training experience!
Deadlift Max set at 90%, Max at 80%, Max at 70%
Double Under technique
7 min AMRAP
30 Double Unders
10 Overhead Squats (95/65)
*eligibility for 5.11 tactical plate carrier give away requires participant to enroll in the Open by Monday, February 20th by 4pm and to submit a score for all five CFG Open events.